It is
impossible to believe that the end of the semester is just around the corner. I
can’t tell if it feels like these past three months feel like they have gone
too fast or too slow, but I do know that they have been a rollercoaster of
emotions and work and stress and great times. It is even harder to believe that
I have completed my first edTPA… and
survived. I cannot put into words how much I have learned over the course of
this semester from my practicum experience and from my Art Education class. The
joys and struggles of teaching, I now know with certainty, can only be
experienced through first-hand participation in a classroom. I have to say, as
my first time in the high school art classroom as a teacher, the experience was
completely new to me and, admittedly, constantly uncomfortable. I do know,
however, that this discomfort allowed me to learn and grow as a teacher in a
way that cannot be matched. The entire experience—from planning the lesson to
instructing and demonstrating to assisting the students during work time, and
finally, to assessing the work—all of it was so incredibly worth the stress and
sleepless nights. I have come to realize how truly rewarding teaching is.
One of the
biggest pieces of my great experience was working with Ms. G. Even though I
only worked with her for a few short months, I am sure that this woman’s
passion for teaching will continue to be one of my biggest inspirations for
years to come. Ms. G truly understood the importance of art to students, and I
could tell that her students understood its importance in their own lives. She
constantly pushed and challenged the students, and was patient with them even
when they fought back or complained because she understood that they were
working through struggles, and she was always there to support them. When they
finally did succeed, which each of them eventually did, she gave them the
praise that they deserved for their hard work. I’ve noted Ms. G’s approach to
teaching and supporting her students and I will be certain to follow her ways
when I have my own classroom.
Not only
was Ms. G helpful to her students, she was helpful in instructing me as a
future teacher as well. She answered all of my questions in great detail, which
gave me wonderful information to reference for the future. She also gave me
incredibly thorough feedback after my teaching of the lesson, and her notes
affected me on each subsequent day of teaching—I could see myself getting
better and better over the course of only a few days. Her feedback will also be
highly beneficial to reference when I am teaching in the future.
Overall, I would not trade my practicum experience for the world. There are certainly some things that I would do differently—quite a few, in fact—but the mistakes that I made and the struggles I endured were a necessary part of my learning process. It is such a relief to know that I can only improve from here. I will take all of the notes and criticisms that I have received and apply them to future lessons to allow myself to become the best teacher I can be. Now that I have worked through the uneasiness and anxiety of teaching in a real classroom for the first time, I know that I can do it again and again for the rest of my life.
Overall, I would not trade my practicum experience for the world. There are certainly some things that I would do differently—quite a few, in fact—but the mistakes that I made and the struggles I endured were a necessary part of my learning process. It is such a relief to know that I can only improve from here. I will take all of the notes and criticisms that I have received and apply them to future lessons to allow myself to become the best teacher I can be. Now that I have worked through the uneasiness and anxiety of teaching in a real classroom for the first time, I know that I can do it again and again for the rest of my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment